How important is IT to enhancing the learning experience in university? That’s the question we asked 1001 current university students in England and Wales to understand the role technology plays in their education and choice of university. As you can see from the tweet below, it turns out the majority of students see IT as being a vital part of their overall learning experience.
— Amy-Jo Crowley (@AmyJoCrowley) May 16, 2014
Our research found that the majority of students (83%) believe access to better technology would improve their academic success and better prepare them for the workplace. A significant number of students (34%) would even be happy to pay higher tuition fees, if in return they got access to better technology, such as accessing lectures remotely or better tools to collaborate with other students. We’ve listed some of the other findings below:
- 92% believe the ability to study in a more flexible way can enhance their experience
- 43% would take IT into consideration when choosing what university to attend
- 79% believe access to improved technology, such as on-campus Wi-Fi and the ability to connect remotely to lectures online could help them work more efficiently
- 54% felt their university wasn’t investing enough in IT
- 26% don’t feel the technology provided by their university meets the level they expect for the tuition fees they are paying
We caught up with Cliff Keast, Head of UK Public Services at VMware on the findings of the study: “Today’s teenagers and young adults have grown up with technology engrained in their everyday lives, and see no reason why their experiences at a university shouldn’t be the same. They want to use personal devices to access course information from anywhere, anytime and have an expectation that the university’s IT will work well. As this research shows, many universities still have a long way to go before they meet students’ expectations. It’s not just about equipping them with the latest tablets, it’s about providing the infrastructure and services which offer the best possible environment for learning, enabling students to study and collaborate in a way that empowers them to achieve the results they need to stand out in today’s competitive job market.”
In the meantime, if you’d like to read more, take a look at what the press had to say about these findings:
- ComputerWorld UK – Students trumpet tech as over half of universities need to invest more in it
- Computer Business Review – Students Prepared To Pay Higher Tuition Fees For Better IT Services
Have you tried your hand yet at our Fast Lane Racer game? See if you have what it takes to beat the competition, and how VMware can help your business take the fast lane!