Yesterday, as part of the Digital Enterprise launch, VMware announced major news that will help all businesses build and manage their software-defined data centre and hybrid cloud.
With all industries facing disruption caused by increased digitisation, organisations are responding by innovating with new online and connected customer experiences leveraging big data, cloud computing and mobility. As a result, massive changes to traditional businesses and operating models are taking place.
What’s more, this is allowing companies to realise new opportunities and revenue streams by taking a modern approach to business, enabled by technology. A key example of this is the growth of hyper-converged infrastructure (HCI) systems, which are the optimal foundation for the software-defined data centre and the hybrid cloud.
The advancements in cloud technology that we’ve announced today simplify IT operations and increase performance while lowering IT capital and operating expenditures. What’s more, these new solutions are designed to help customers address the most common use cases VMware has identified in customers’ journey to the cloud.
As part of this, we’ve got two major solutions to tell you about:
The VMware vRealize Suite provides customers the ability to provision and manage at scale – compute, storage, network and application services across hybrid cloud environments. The platform’s comprehensive management capabilities for the software-defined data center help customers to address three common use cases based on thousands of customer engagements:
- Intelligent Operations Management: Enables IT teams to proactively address health, performance and capacity management of IT services across heterogeneous and hybrid cloud environments in order to improve IT service performance and availability.
- Automated IT to Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS): Enables IT teams to automate the delivery and ongoing management of IT infrastructure in order to reduce the time it takes to respond to requests for IT resources by providing self-service access to those resources by IT and business users.
- DevOps-ready IT: Enables IT teams to build a cloud for development teams that can deliver a complete application stack; support developer choice in the form of both API and GUI access to resources; and provision resources across a hybrid cloud. IT can further extend the solution scope by addressing continuous delivery with VMware vRealize Code Stream to further speed up application delivery.
VMware Virtual SAN 6.2 is the fourth-generation of VMware’s simple, enterprise-grade native storage for vSphere, and is a central part of VMware’s hyper-converged infrastructure solution. This latest release introduces:
- Deduplication and compression: Deduplication and compression optimizes all-flash storage capacity to provide as much as 7x data reduction with minimal impact on CPU and memory overhead.
- Erasure Coding (RAID 5/RAID 6): Erasure Coding helps increase usable storage capacity by up to 2x while maintaining the same high level of data resiliency.
- Quality of Service (QoS): New QoS capabilities will provide increased visibility, control and reporting of the IOPS consumed by each virtual machine helping to eliminate noisy neighbours.
- Enhanced performance, capacity, and health monitoring: New features in the unified management plane make it easier for all customers to predictably realize the benefits of HCI systems powered by VMware Virtual SAN.